Latest News – October 15
Leadville Pride: Neighbors Helping Neighbors Update
Leadville, you answered the call! Readers may recall the Neighbors Helping Neighbors Food Drive Challenge that Leadville Today issued for locals to get behind the event which runs through October. People were encouraged to give more at donation centers, or plan their own event.
So to celebrate mid-month successes, here’s an update on the Neighbors Helping Neighbors Food Drive. And if you have efforts underway to help fill Leadville’s food banks, contact firstname.lastname@example.org and you’ll be added to the final report!
- The Lake County School District will be collecting canned goods at tomorrow’s (10/16) Meet and Greet for the new State Board of Education Representative Joyce Rankin. Attendees who bring a can of food will receive a free ticket to Friday’s Lake County High School football game vs. Paonia. The reception starts at 5:30 at the high school.
- On Saturday, Oct. 17 a special concert at St. George Church will benefit the Community Meals Program. The performance will feature singer/songwriter Sara Thompson, with the show starting at 7 p.m. at St George’s. Tix are $15 at the door. Bring a friend!!
- This week Colorado Mountain College (CMC) in Leadville kicked off the CMC Food Drive to support local efforts. Each student who donates to the collection boxes local at the front desk and/or Student Affairs Office will be entered in a raffle to receive a CMC sweatshirt, which will be drawn on October 21.
- Lake County Commissioner Mike Bordogna reported that at his request the El Pomar Foundation has given St. George Church $5,000 this year and again the next to continue providing community meals 5 days a week.
- The Scarlet Bar collected canned food at the door as the crowds filled in to hear some live music on October 9.
Now in its 9th year, the Neighbors Helping Neighbors Food Drive is held annually in October. The proceeds benefit the food banks at the Lake County Senior Center, St. George’s Church, First Presbyterian Church of Leadville, and Holy Family Parish.
Food drop-off locations are at Safeway, Saturday’s Discount, ShopKo, and Pueblo Bank and Trust. For those who wish to contribute financially, money donation jars are located at: Peoples Bank, 1st Mountain Bank, Pueblo Bank and Trust, Kum and Go on Mountain View Drive, and Saturday’s Discount.
Those interested in donating directly, may also contact Mabel Bogeart directly at email@example.com. or 719-486-0259.