Latest News – October 14
FREE Cooking Classes Start Sunday at Elks
Starting this Sunday, October 16 there will two cooking classes being offered at The Elks Lodge thanks to the folks at Colorado Mountain College. The “Cooking 80461” classes are FREE and open to anyone in the community. In addition, child care will be provided for parents.
Kicking things off this Sunday from 4 – 6:30 p.m. will be the Winter Stews class. Learn to make delicious healthy affordable meals with fresh products you can buy at our local grocery store. The colder months are just around the corner won’t it be nice to have a few more great winter stew recipes in your cook book?
Then in another couple of weeks on Sunday, October 30 also from 4 – 6:30 p.m. the menu will jump to the end of the meal with Healthy Fall Desserts. A sweet treat at the end of your meal can be tasty and good for you. Come and learn some new recipes for everyone’s favorite part of the meal: dessert!
The Elks Lodge is located at 123 W. 5th Street in Leadville. Contact Kendra at 791-293-5334 to make your reservation.
Open House, BBQ at Fire Station on Saturday
Don’t forget that tomorrow in honor of National Fire Prevention Week there will be an Open House and FREE BBQ tomorrow, Saturday, Oct. 15 from noon to 5 p.m. at the Leadville/Lake County Fire Rescue (LLCFR) house, located at 9th Street and historic Harrison Avenue.
There will be several Lake County and Leadville agencies and departments on hand to provide information on public safety issues. During the day many demonstrations will be held, such as a wildfire table simulation, extrication demonstration, & a charged fire hose available for the public to experience. A BBQ will also be held throughout the day starting at noon.
The LLCFR will also be accepting donations for the Neighbors Helping Neighbors Food Drive, going on throughout the month of October. So residents may also bring canned and non-perishable food items to the Fire House on October 15.
While National Fire Prevention Week focuses on promoting fire safety and prevention, fire safety should be practiced all year long. Many potential fire hazards go undetected because people simply do not take steps to fireproof their home.
Many bedroom fires are caused by misuse or poor maintenance of electrical devices, careless use of candles, smoking in bed, and children playing with matches and lighters. Most potential hazards can be addressed with a little common sense. For example, be sure to keep flammable items like bedding, clothes and curtains at least three feet away from portable heaters or lit candles, and never smoke in bed. Also, items like appliances or electric blankets should not be operated if they have frayed power cords, and electrical outlets should never be overloaded.